Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Dollhouse In December, Then Going Out Of Business

I feel so bored not having to write about cool television, especially Dollhouse, which will re-open on December.....
What? The Hollywood Reporter says the show is cancelled?
Why now? The show is supposed to come back in three weeks with Summer Glau, the return of Senator Wesley, er, Perrin, and the guy who used to be Satan on Reaper.
You mean the fact reruns of Bones and House on November 6th got a 1.2 rating shows that people would rather see that than a sci-fi show about life-sized dolls struggling with their own identity, especially a girl named Echo?
If that is what Fox thinks....then it explains why Breaking Bad and Mad Men are on AMC, not ABC.

This is cruel. That's what I am saying. It's like Fox programmers are killing off shows the way Joss kills off beloved characters. Because they are.
This is worse than ABC letting Pushing Daisies wilt and die because of neglect last year. I had dreamed of tossing a 200 foot pie at the ABC offices for this. Thankfully, the Emmys beat me to it, thanks to four Emmys for the show.

Fox goes through all the trouble of telling people it will be back on the fourth, and emphasizes the return of fan favorite Summer Glau (especially for fans of Firefly, Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles and maybe Big Bang Theory). We see two cool viral web sites from Rossum and a neo-Luddite group who claims we should mistrust technology. Fans are promoting the heck out of the show, basically doing Fox's job to keep the buzz going.
Now, after two weeks of House and Bones reruns, Fox decides that people prefer leftovers on Fridays, not freshly made drama?
Look, that may work for weekend on NBC or the CW anytime, but not on Fox, guys.

Well, as I'm typing this, I am happy to learn the show will be back in three weeks, but at the end of January, that will be the end.
Also, Joss is making episode eleven. Can you partially wrap up a show in two weeks?
Well, he had said he's ready for this possibility. Hopefully we'll go back to Los Angeles 2019, and see how Mag, Zone and MiniEcho are doing in their search for SafeHaven(tm).
One person is proposing maybe a movie to close out the show, as Serenity partially did.
You know, the ironic thing is that AMC is airing a six-hour version of the classic 1960's show The Prisoner. It won't be like the old version. It will have the same themes about freedom, individuality and security. I'd like to think it's the same idea "improved" after 42 years by the unknown group who made the old version. Little cable networks are willing to pay to make TV shows that are not spinoffs of existing shows, dance contests, or reality shows. The networks would rather make something they know will be popular, even if it starts out moldy and stale...and then they wonder why people turn to Netflix or HBO for their TV needs.
Fox had that chance to air a show about identity and freedom, with a dig to massive companies who are trying to define what we are and what we're supposed to like. Taking a risk can pay off sometimes. Try it sometime....like when you brought back Family Guy and it became bigger than ever!!!!

Well, I have two t-shirts protesting what Fox is doing to Dollhouse. They may have something to do with Firefly, and I'll try that at the costume contest at next week's con in LAX. I may not win over another guy who's dressed as a Reaver, but if I make my point loud and clear, then that's good.

Just one more thing....
is that book of essays about Dollhouse still going to be published by Smart Pop Books? I have a great idea for an essay, and I should still write it.

ETA: Joss responds to our response, in his usual way..

Hmm. Apparently my news is not news.

I don't have a lot to say. I'm extremely proud of the people I've worked with: my star, my staff, my cast, my crew. I feel the show is getting better pretty much every week, and I think you'll agree in the coming months. I'm grateful that we got to put it on, and then come back and put it on again.

I'm off to pursue internet ventures/binge drinking. Possibly that relaxation thing I've read so much about. By the time the last episode airs, you'll know what my next project is. But for now there's a lot of work still to be done, and disappointment to bear.

Thank you all for your support, your patience, your excellent adverts. See you again. -j.

No comments:

Post a Comment